Sunday 2 February 2014

Raucous Birds

The figs are ripening in the neighbouring tree and with it comes the raucous and colourful rainbow lorikeets to sample the fruit all hours of the day. They really chatter and squawk non stop, it sounds like such fun.
I climbed the ladder in the hope of getting a good shot but would you believe that these birds despite all their bravado and noise really are a little camera shy. One day (when I am rich) I shall invest in a really good camera but for now will make do!  And so will you!







Don't these seed pods look amazing,, they are from the Jacaranda tree. (Correction - they are not Jacaranda, not sure what they are) They remind me of Medusa's head of snakes, all wiggly and squirmy. The tree really quite interesting to look at and is extremely beautiful when in bloom with its purple flowers (well the jacaranda has purple flowers and is very prettY)



The pomegranates are almost ripe.. the birds won't stand a chance with the fruit - the possums and fruit rats get them!



Corrections made to this post = sorry

5 comments:

  1. awwww the birds are beautiful such pretty colours!! Great photos I think..those pomegranates look yummy.gosh I haven't eaten one in ages!

    Now following your blog
    hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting and joining in. I always get excited to meet new and like minded people the world over. Its so nice to have a sense of community . I'll be popping past for a visit.
      Cheers Monique

      Delete
  2. These birds are stunning, knocks spots off of our grey pigeons! The Jacaranda tree is beautiful too as is the lovely sunlight....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather was so extreme yesterday ( we broke records here for the hottest day ever in SA) so the birds weren't visiting , thankfully a change has blown in and I was even heard mumbling I'm cold today- go figure sun blasting hot one day and chilly the next. As I type I can hear them dropping past for a visit - sunset - right on queue.

      I like grey pigeons and was in town for a quick visit and almost photographed someone feeding hundreds of them with left over bread
      Thanks for dropping by
      Cheers Monique

      Delete
  3. Great photos....we have a lorikeets here, been a pet that was our sons, but was left with us when he left home....it talks and can be extremely loud at times!!!! He's pulled out a lot of his feathers, so you would be hard pressed to know he is a lorikeets!!! I love Jacarandas, we used to have them everywhere in Brisbane. Good to know they grow well in SA, I'd love to have a go at getting a couple going here in north east VIC. Would there be any chance you might be able to send a few seeds from the pods this way???
    Hugs Sharm
    Feel free to email me at. sharmshere@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments