Sunday 16 March 2014

Hand Printed - Sunshine Lotus Flower Quilt


In preparation for my nieces 21st I've started to print up panels of lotus flower in yellows and grey  for her quilt.
Might redo the center panel as I dropped the leaf print onto the lotus flower and had to over print the flower.. one mistake and you need to start again. I did prepare to print two panels by cutting out two 21 inch square pieces of cotton right from the start but the printing will have to wait for another day as I do have to get ready for work.


The large panel and these two strips will form the large center star.
The individual lotus flower panels will be cut for the center of the smaller stars.


A rough sketch of what the quilt might look like. i'm not sure what will be in the two upper triangles of the yellow square..perhaps more printed pieces. Anyway it is a start. maybe I will get this quilt done before her birthday and not a year later like my nephews.


12 comments:

  1. This is SO impressive! the flowers are gorgous: their colours, their shape. Just perfect.
    A wonderful gift.
    I suppose it takes a very very long time to print these panels in the right way.

    I envy you: of all things in life I would chose to do professionaly: I would choose this. Is this your job or your hobby?

    Have a nice sunday!

    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a hobby..but one i love. Wouldn't it be wonderful to live your creative life and make a living from it.

      Delete
  2. Wow, Monique!! My goodness you are a clever designer!! This is going to be an amazing quilt if your gorgeous prints are anything to go by. What a bummer that you have to go to work to earn the bacon.....but then that is a good thing for all those patients of yours!! You really do have an incredible eye and a wonderful imagination!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Says she who persists in doing the tiniest details to perfection. Thanks anyway, I think you are too kind but I'll take it anyway :) I agree going to work is a bummer sometimes

      Delete
    2. ...haha...touche!! But seriously, Monique, I tell no lie.....your designs are truly amazing!!

      Delete
  3. Phantastic! You are really talented with design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks hannele, Once you've carved a few stamps you have them for life and it becomes easy to mix it up a little and develop new paterns

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. I have a screen printing course on my to "do list"; is that the technique you used here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought Geninne D Zlatkis book on Making An Impression : designing and creating artful stamps. Has some super cool ideas and gives you good basics on stamp making. If you can draw a picture you can make a stamp with a little patience. The all you need is ezy carve stamp blocks or lino, carving tools, inks , roller and imagination. Have a look at Geninnes Art blog http://blogdelanine.blogspot.com.au/ for inspiration, you can do it at home!

      Delete
  5. love the print and the colors you chose! I think your niece is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Monique -- this is very special and your quilt design looks amazing too..... Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh superbes réalisations!
    les miennes sont a voir aussi sur mon blog...

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments