Monday 3 March 2014

Rainbow Monkey Quilt



I've finished ny rainbow monkey quilt. It is absolutely massive and although not king size, it is not far from it. My son, Benjamin complained continually last year of his blanket being too short and that he needs a  bigger quilt. I still need to buy him a queen size doona but have made this for on top of his bed

This evening after work I drove half an hour to get to this ramshackled building. We drove past it on the way to blackberry picking last week and I commented to Richmal that it would make a great place to hang a quilt. As it is, it is not quite high enough to accommodate the whole quilt but it looks great in the sunshine anyway.

Let me tell you I was a naughty girl getting these shots. There were very clear signs saying keep out but I think its more to stop people from hurting themselves in the dilapidated mess of the building interior. Anyway I tore a good pair of jeans on the barbed wire fencing - oh well - the things you do in the name of art!


The other side of the quilt in the making, hanging over the chair.



Standing on the top of the ladder to get the whole quilt in shot



I made this quilt in strips. I sewed one strip of monkeys together then quilted them to wadding and backing and then utilized quilt as you go techniques to piece the strips together. It was very manageable under a regular sewing machine and not at all impossible to piece together. If you wanted you could get quite fancy with you machine quilting with relative ease.






The end

22 comments:

  1. I love how cheerful the rainbow colors are and driving to your photo location was worth it. Just beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I 'm surprised by how much energy I had after work yesterday. Today nothing! But it was a very pleasant way to finish the day. Thanks karen

      Delete
  2. It is absolutely gorgeous. And I love the photos - awesome location! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have been very busy Linda. Stunning Friesian quilt. thanks for visiting again

      Delete
  3. Stunning!! This is truly a striking quilt--you're very talented and your son is lucky! Great photo location too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nadine for stopping by and the lovely comments.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful monkey quilt, love the colors too! The building is perfect for a photo of this quilt. Great photos too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always lovely to meet new people. Ill be sure to drop past soon. thanks for your lovely comments

      Delete
  5. Those colours really shine. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a lovely evening to go for a drive and take photos. Sunset really makes colours pop . Still want your quilt!

      Delete
  6. Fabulous quilt, love the way you used the colours, and I can finally see why it was called your monkey quilt LOl. Sorry your jeans got torn, but I was kinda pleased to hear it was your jeans and not the quilt getting torn on an old nail or something!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually thought the same thing when I got over the fence What if I caught the quilt??? Doesnt pay to think that way. Will still be sending seeds just have to get organised ie go to the post office (i've collected some at least but might have missed the right time to collect them as most of the seed pods were opened.

      Delete
  7. You're CRAZY girl! You know how hard it is to find jeans that fit??!
    The quilt is cool, the monkeys fab, but your commentary is so fun I'm headed into your blog to read more
    LeeAnna Paylor
    Not Afraid of Color! lapaylor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see you have a sense of humour and touch of whimsy iin your quilts. Really think Bikini Body is a fun and colourful quilt.Thanks for the generous comments!

      Delete
  8. Amazing quilt!! Amazing colours!! Amazing photo shoot!! What the heck....one can always buy a new pair of jeans....afterall presentation is everything AND your presentation is perfect. Love the building and backdrop!! So very pleased that you lived to tell the tale!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't mention that I was worried about snakes and it would have been so hard to spot one in amongst the weeds, rocks and rubble. Thanks again for you generous comments. Send me your address I wanted to print something for you!!

      Delete
  9. This quilt is awesome!! Beautifully done - color placement is perfect. The photo shoot - wow! Totally worth the torn jeans :) Congrats on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind comments. I keep an eye out to see how your triangle work out :)

      Delete
  10. That final pic of your quilt rolled up is beautiful!!! Yours is my favorite posts read today!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a really fabulous quilt. The colours are just stunning and you chimp fabric is showcased beautifully. I love that you used QAYG for it, It defintiely makes such large quilts manageable for normal sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a fun quilt! I love the rainbow effect! I also climbed over a no trespassing barricade to take my quilt shots this week- great minds think alike ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before I even read about you being naughty to get these shots, I was taken by such an unsual backdrop. I wouldn't have been able to resist, either! I love the colorful stripes and blocks, and I am quite impressed how well it turned out after being quilted in strips.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments