Saturday 12 July 2014

Christmas in July Ornament Swap

I signed up for an ornament swap in June without to much thought to my other plans of going away and find myself a little pushed for time to make my gifts (which are already due). So with haste and speed I decided to make something that I knew I could finish in time and which still looks effective.

Clay ornaments are not a difficult things to make and after Christmas last year I purchased some snow flake icing cutters at a reduced price for this purpose. This is the first time I have used them and I do find the removal of the snowflake from the cutter a little fiddly despite it being a punch cutter.

I faffed around with a couple of backgrounds. I am currently waiting for the ornaments to dry before threading them up. I thought the smaller ones could be used as gift tags .
I was fiddling around with some older clay ornaments and trying to decorate them with bronze ink using a Sharpie pen...but did not get a good application of colour...waste of money. My Posca pen in gold gave a better application but not the colour I wanted, so I have ditched the idea of applying colour and will leave the ornaments plain.




I also thought I would make a bag to put the ornaments in and printed up my hummingbird in a bright orange (not really at all Christmassy but very cheery)
 Notice how carefully I have prepared my material,,,I went all out to iron the cotton before printing-not!

Thought I'd throw these in to the mix. I took these display photos at Adelaide Central Market- fabulous colour and I love the display


And lastly a photo of my sisters and I at my 50th Birthday dinner..PotatoHead Bali. Nice venue, pretentious and expensive for a mediocre meal..but lovely company!




6 comments:

  1. oh these look awesome Monique..love the fabric too.
    time has just flown by hasent it ?! great photos.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ornaments are sweet and I'm sure your swap partner will be very happy with them.
    A lovely photo of you and your sisters.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW for the ornaments! They look lovely.

    I absolutely adore the humming bird. It SO is my favourite bird. I wish I had your gift of making all these beautiful tissues.

    Congratulations on your anniverary,
    you look so young.


    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute ornaments and love the hummingbird bag :) Haven't even given Christmas a though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those ornaments are lovely,I like them white, . Your hummingbird stamp is very cool. Nice photo of you and your sisters.....I'm guessing your 50th will be a birthday that will be long remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful Christmas ornaments. I would never attempt something this finicky! I think you know how I feel about your stamped fabric, but I will reiterate: positively lovely! The hummingbird print is beautiful and it is really quite striking done in orange.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments