Wednesday 6 August 2014

Red White Blue

Hello everybody! I feel like it has been ages since I have been able to share anything of the show and tell nature. That would be because I insist on having holidays and then returning to work with little time in between. When I have had a spare moment I have either picked up the crochet hook and continued on with the neutral toned blanket or I have been trying to snatch a few moments to complete my red white and blue quilt which is loosely based on "lady in the Lake". I say loosely based on "Lady in The Lake"because my outside triangles are facing the wrong way or my geese are flying the coop rather than landing in the lake! I started the quilt twelve years ago. The top was made very quickly but then was rested in the cupboard for longer than any quilt top should. Then three years ago I started hand quilting the quilt, mainly on a Thursday morning at craft, but as usual I am easily distracted by other activities and this quilt would get tossed aside. I must say that in the last few weeks it has been that cold at night that I would be working on the quilt in bed at night and just leave it on top of me and go to sleep . How slack is that! At least the weather gave me the impetus to finish it off.

So to show off this quilt I decided to take you on a little journey to one of my favourite places in South Australia - Port Willunga Beach
As a young adult, my friends and I would head down with boogie boards and the usual beach gear for a day of sun and crystal clear waters. It takes about 45-50 minutes to get to Port Willunga from where I live but it is well worth the trip. Way back when we were young we would virtually have the whole beach to ourselves with only a few other souls on the beach. It is a little more popular nowadays, what with urban sprawl but the surrounds remain beautiful and untouched as the area has become part of a large marine park. Virtually a few minutes down  the road is Aldinga and a patch of local scrub land which is the last remaining natural scrub environs on the Adelaide plains. (I will take you for a photographic tour tomorrow)
Hope you enjoy the beach as much as I do.


 Standing on the cliff face - the view in both directions


 Looking down to the beach below


Unusual rocks with Iron



 Sandstone cliff faces

 
 Reflective pools



And I imagine I should actually show you the quilt! The quilt pattern looks a little shattered or fracture in these shots but I just think it is the pattern and the bright light on this superb winters day




looking up the sandstone cliff face





The remainders of the  jetty - a photographers dream - old pylons weathering away in the water. Check out the cormorant on top of the pylon




Old boats sheds cut into the rock wall of the cliffs
And the remainders of a pulley system to haul the boats up the beach to the shed - makes for a nice hanger







Using the timer on the camera


In coming wave






10 second timer does not allow any time to get prepared for a shot when you have to run down the rocks to get in position



Tomorrow I'll take you to the Aldinga scrub for a brief visit. If you love the pylon shots some very professional photographers have captured the beach at its very best - sunset and during  lightning strike - absolutely brilliant shots - have a look here
Thanks for stopping by!

14 comments:

  1. Twelve years in the making hey.....'tis a lovely quilt. Time is of no importance really, when making a quilt. Triangles facing the wrong way or not, your lovely quilt looks perfect with that beautiful beach in the background. My goodness you look as if you are dressed for Summer.....lucky you! As ever, gorgeous photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isnt it lovely when the sun beats down and warms you through and through. very little wind on the beach meant it was warm very quickly.

      Delete
  2. beautiful stunning quilt! I always look forward to your photo shoots and your quilts. Loved the beach back drop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, its a lovely spot to revisit both my youth and the beach

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the tour of your favourite beach. You have captured it's natural splendour in your photos. I love your photo of the cormorant on the old jetty.Your quilt is charming; as a rule I don't go for red, white and blue, but this is much softer than most, perhaps through the predominance of white and the various red and blue tones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently this is a very well photographed area with lots of weddings being photographed on the beach and in front of the old pylons. glad I didnt tire of the quilt and finished it off finally

      Delete
  4. It is our great dream to visit Australia within the next few years. Our two children have wanted to go there for ages but the 4 of us never have enough free weeks at the same moment.
    When we DO get on the other side of the world one day, we certainly must visit your beach. So nice. And looks quite warm too. Isn't it winter over there?


    Your quilt is pure craftsmanship. You'll have lots of fun and cosiness using it. The red colours match wonderfully with the blue of the sea. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you every make it to Adelaide I would be pleased to show you around

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful quilt, and a gorgeous beach! I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Kat...I lurv the beach

      Delete
  7. We are very lucky in South Australia- you find pristine beach after beach...and you rarely have to fight for a spot to laze on the beach, lots of room and sun for all. Our best kept secret

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stunning photographs...and the quilt is gorgeous too by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jen .. I am really enjoy taking a finished quilt off for a photography session..usually it involves beautiful places good foo and friends (if they are free to come along at the drop of the hat) or as it was this occasion , by myself.

      Delete
  9. Lovely photos, nice to see your your part of paradise. The quilt looks great too.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments