Saturday 4 April 2015

Neutrals Crochet Blanket Finish






I love it when you are on holidays and you get time to sit and crochet to your hearts content (after washing the floors, cleaning the bathroom and toilet, and hanging out the washing). So obviously I rushed all those jobs and then worked steadily on completing the five rounds of the border. Seven balls of grey wool later and my border is complete, although somewhat frillier than it should be. Knowing me I didn't follow the pattern properly. Actually I couldn't understand it so I made it up as I went along. The pattern on my blanket spans a greater  width than the original pattern and I really can't tell by the picture if it is true to design but who cares I'm happy anyway.


The edge in steps below
 To celebrate my completed project and to enjoy the glorious sunshine on this Easter weekend, I set off for an adventure in the hills. I thought I would try to find an area where the fires had been to work the neutrals of the blanket in with nature.
It's amazing after a few short months the undergrowth is almost back to normal , only the blackened trees hinting at the evidence of fire.



These lovely straw flowers must have flourished after the fire as they are interspersed between the trees everywhere







 A view from where I parked my car. One side of the road - lush green valleys and over the road (directly opposite) blackened trees from the fire.



And some lovely waratahs I picked up for a bargain price of $2.50 - a lovely Easter bunch and they will last for weeks.

HAPPY EASTER TO ALL



PS If you are new to the blog - Welcome and if you love birds then the previous month of photos is packed full of them : lorikeets. galahs, pelicans, swans and cormorants (I went a little crazy over the last month)
Cheers and thanks for stopping by.

13 comments:

  1. I like how the edging turned out, a lovely lacey effect. It looks right at home amongst the Aussie landscape. x
    p.s. i cant wait to receive the hand carved spoon. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blanket looks a treat posing amongst all those gum trees. The border looks lovely......the frillier the better!! Hope you are enjoying a lovely Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your afghan is truly a work of art :-) And the border is the perfect touch! Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Monique,
    I am in awe for your blanket. Its sandy-earthy colours make me want to put it on my bed as well because it really invites you to go to sleep. The make you want to rest.
    You were so clever to take the blanket into the burned woods, they match great together.

    As I like the egde very much, I have been looking very hard at it and trying to work out if I have something in the pipeline to go with your edge! (steal, steal, blogging is so enticing)

    The flowers are a genuine bargain indeed. What would our lives be without them?

    Enjoy your holidays! (mine also started yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, and I forgot the happy Easter thing.

    So , out of the bottom of my heart (no sarcasm) I wish you an übercool Easter weekend! (ànd monday)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that the border of your blanket is gorgeous, whether you followed the pattern or not! The colors of your squares are so pretty together!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to take so long to reply, I have been away on holidays- no computer that i could use (the kids have theirs but you couldnt get near them if you tried!) Anyway thanks for your compliments and much appreciate you taking the time to comment. Cheers hope you visit again soon. Monique

      Delete
  7. Perfect blanket ! Beautiful pictures !!!
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anna, thankyou for you compliments . Although the blanket was a slow process the border took no time at all to produce in comparison. When you can see the end in sight there is more motivation to continue on. I often get as much pleasure in finding somewhere to photograph my projects, it makes finishing all the more special. I often share this adventure with a friend and make a day of it. Thanks for stopping by and taking the effort to comment. Cheers Monique

      Delete
  8. Beautiful blanket! I also like to see your pictures from Australia. Will follow you up! Greetings from the Netherlands, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvonne and welcome, It is a thrill to have an international audience and I especially am fond of the Dutch. My parents originated from the Netherlands , sadly I am yet to visit. I have put up in my last blog post a walk up Mount Lofty in South Australia. If you like Australian flora and fauna then you will enjoy the photography. Cheers and thanks for visiting and taking the time to comment.Monique

      Delete
  9. Beautiful work!!!!!!!!

    Smiles, Saskia :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming to visit Saskia and I very much appreciate that you have taken the time to comment. I am now 2/3rds of the way through my next crochet project (which I occasionally post about on instagram) but will soon show here...when I take photos. Stay tuned.. Cheers Monique x

      Delete

I enjoy hearing from you and look forward to your comments